The Sisters Of Mercy first established a presence in Sunderland back in 1843, and St. Anthony’s Grammar school was established in 1902. St. Anthony’s received state recognition in 1904, and in 1921 a Sixth Form was opened to continue the education of pupils Post-16.
St. Anthony’s moved to its current site in Thornhill Terrace in 1939 and has undergone many changes and transformations since. There have been many educational changes since St. Anthony’s was first established in Sunderland, and the school has adapted to these changes too. The Catholic ethos and support of the Sisters of Mercy, however, has remain unchanged: St. Anthony’s is a Catholic girls’ school that has provided high quality education for girls in Sunderland for more than a century.
Here is a brief summary of the history of St. Anthony’s:
|1972||St. Anthony’s became a direct grant comprehensive|
|1976||St. Anthony’s became a voluntary aided comprehensive|
|1999||St. Anthony’s achieved Technology College status|
|2000||St. Anthony’s became a Beacon School, and joined the Hexham and Newcastle Catholic Partnership|
|2009||St. Anthony’s added Languages to its specialisms|
|2011||St. Anthony’s became a Leading Edge School|
|2012||St. Anthony’s acheived High Performing School status|
|2012||St. Anthony’s achieved academy status and became St Anthony’s Girls’ Catholic Academy (a single academy)|
|2013||St. Anthony’s achieved ‘Outstanding in all four categories’ in the 2013 Ofsted inspection and in the Diocesan Inspection June 2013|
|2014||St. Anthony’s was awarded Teaching School status in September 2014|
|2018||St. Anthony’s was awarded “Outstanding” in all categories in the Diocesan Inspection|
|2019||St. Anthony’s was awarded International School status by the British Council|
|2020||St. Anthony’s was awarded World Class School status|
|2020||Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Education Trust merged with Northern Saints Catholic Education Trust to form Bishop Chadwick Catholic Education Trust as part of diocesan plans|
St. Anthony’s Girl’s Catholic Academy is looking forward to an exciting and successful future as it embarks on a major site redevelopment that will provide state-of-the-art facilities for all of its students and staff.