Miss Philippa Clafton
Philippa Clafton is currently Head of English and an Assistant Head Teacher at an all-boys school at St Aidan’s Catholic Academy, Sunderland. Philippa has been a leader of English for the last 5 years and is currently studying leadership to gain her NPQSL qualification. Philippa has a passion for literacy and English and has supported school leaders in enriching their curriculum by identifying and promoting usage of subject specific vocabulary within lessons. Her areas of expertise include:
- Curriculum design – choosing appropriate texts and assessments to encourage and promote deeper thinking.
- Raising boys’ progress in English.
- Behaviour for learning.
- Promoting reading across the school.
She is driven, committed and passionate, contributing to the success of her department and has achieved excellent outcomes for all students.
Areas of support:
- Raising achievement and progress in English with a specific focus on boys.
- Enriching curriculum that stretches and challenges all students.
- Effective use of assessment.
- Department leadership and management.
- Whole school reading strategies